Independent Study Project
Co-ordinated by Tim SUMMERS
In this course, students will produce a substantial research paper on a China-related topic.
Detailed Course Outline is available on Blackboard.
Assessment & Assignments
The paper should be between 7,000 and 8,000 words (including footnotes and bibliography). Students will be assessed on three elements:
- 20%: First draft of the research paper (to be assessed by individual supervisor). This should be submitted before mid April 2022 so that the supervisor can give feedback before the presentation.
- 20%: Presentation of research to student seminar (assessed by course coordinator and supervisors). The seminar will take place in the week of 20 April 2021 (date and time TBC).
- 60%: Final paper (assessed by individual supervisor, with grading standardisation arranged by course coordinator). Final papers should be submitted by 9 May 2022 (subject to confirmation by the individual supervisor).
The final paper should be uploaded to Veriguide and a signed copy of the Veriguide receipt sent to the course coordinator.
Honesty in Academic Work
Attention is drawn to University policy and regulations on honesty in academic work, and to the disciplinary guidelines and procedures applicable to breaches of such policy and regulations. Details may be found at http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/.
With each assignment, students will be required to submit a signed declaration that they are aware of these policies, regulations, guidelines and procedures.
- In the case of group projects, all members of the group should be asked to sign the declaration, each of whom is responsible and liable to disciplinary actions, irrespective of whether he/she has signed the declaration and whether he/she has contributed, directly or indirectly, to the problematic contents.
- For assignments in the form of a computer-generated document that is principally text-based and submitted via VeriGuide, the statement, in the form of a receipt, will be issued by the system upon students’ uploading of the soft copy of the assignment.
Assignments without the properly signed declaration will not be graded by teachers.
Only the final version of the assignment should be submitted via VeriGuide.
The submission of a piece of work, or a part of a piece of work, for more than one purpose (e.g. to satisfy the requirements in two different courses) without declaration to this effect shall be regarded as having committed undeclared multiple submissions. It is common and acceptable to reuse a turn of phrase or a sentence or two from one’s own work; but wholesale reuse is problematic. In any case, agreement from the course teacher(s) concerned should be obtained prior to the submission of the piece of work.