The Centre for China Studies (CCS) is a multidisciplinary department dedicated to advance scholarship and learning in all fields of Chinese Studies.
We are committed to interactive teaching and learning about China. Our degree programmes aim to equip students with the knowledge and skills to pursue successful international careers involving China. We offer students an opportunity to make the most of the unique traditions, resources and innovations of this university known throughout China and the world as a leading hub for scholars and students fascinated with exploring the richness and complexity of Chinese history, economy, governance, business, culture, language, literature and contemporary society.
What do CCS offer to students?
Our primarily English-taught undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes are advantageous in offering the following:
– Interdisciplinary approach to exploring Greater China
– Integrated understanding of China’s past, present, and future
– Interactive instruction in a “liberal arts” mode
– Immersive learning through target-language, sociocultural experience
– Intensive empirical research to equip students with strong analytical and communication skills
– International-oriented network for developing careers in Hong Kong, mainland China, and abroad
Why Hong Kong?
We believe that our location in Hong Kong provides the ideal environment to pursue Chinese scholarship. Hong Kong is a vibrant global city where Chinese and other cultures meet, mix, and mesh; together with CUHK that is widely known throughout China and the world as a leading hub for scholars and students fascinated with exploring the richness and complexity of China. Our BA programme’s students can make the most of CUHK’s unique traditions, resources and innovations in Chinese Studies and take advantage of our unique location to do much of their learning beyond classroom. They can explore our university’s libraries, art museum and archives, explore all corners of Hong Kong, hop on the train to Shenzhen, and travel into different parts of mainland for experiential-learning fieldwork, social enterprise and internships courses, and social-cultural immersion studies. Click here to learn more about our Learning & Living Environment!
Our students graduate with:
- High proficiency in both Chinese (Putonghua) and English
- Integrated comprehension of the complexities of Chinese society
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Cross-cultural networks
- International outlook
We equip our students with the knowledge and skills to pursue successful international careers involving China. Click here to read more about our Student Testimonials!